SMS is an invaluable tool for marketing and remains the most universal mobile medium to date. In the UK, SMS is the most popular form of communication, so is a relevant form of marketing in today’s society.
Here are the 5 top reasons why SMS is the best form of marketing:
(1) SMS reaches people: Unlike mobile apps, or use of the internet, where compatible software and data usage limits are key limiting factors, SMS enables you to send marketing campaigns to practically any phone. SMS marketing has a huge potential reach to the 91% of adults in the UK who use a mobile phone (Ofcom; Q4 2011).
(2) SMS is delivered instantly: SMS puts your message into your subscribers’ pockets or purses seconds after you send, and even if you. The average delivery time for a text message is less than 7 seconds.
(3) SMS has high open rates: Open rates for SMS messages are amongst the highest across any form of marketing. Frost & Sullivan 2010 & Epsilon 2009 reports found that compared to Email marketing, which has an average open rate of 22%, SMS messages boast an impressive 98% open rate.
(4) Customers engage with the content: Another recent study found the average click through rate (CTR) of URLs included in SMS messages is 19% which compares to a 4.2% CTR for Emails. This tells us that SMS marketing is not only a more engaging marketing method, but it is also more likely to drive responses that companies deem desirable than with Email marketing, which is also subject to strict spam filters, a problem that does not affect SMS marketing.
(5) The SMS spam rate is relatively low: Strong regulations around SMS and mobile communications is kept relatively low. Consumers have the choice of reporting spam to their mobile providers and national commissions, such as the ICO within the UK.
Despite SMS messaging appearing a very basic way to communicate in the mobile space, it remains a highly effective and engaging medium, with a massive potential reach. It has overtaken traditional forms of communication in terms of popularity, and is thought to be the marketing tool of the future.