Payforit (PFI) is a simple and safe way for consumers to purchase products and services with the cost being charged to the mobile phone bill or deducted from their prepaid balance.
Mobile payments is a hot topic at the moment and is predicted to be a key technology that will be more commonplace and readily accessible in 2014.
This article is specifically written about PFI and will help you begin to understand if this solution is right for you and your business.
Increase your mobile conversion rates
Mobile payments aren’t a new innovation, with many solutions available. PFI in particular has been available for around six years in various forms with Payforit version 4.1 being recently launched, making the mobile payment mechanism easier, more secure and allowing for in-app purchases.
In our experience, mobile payments have not been as widely adopted because brands have preferred to sell their products and services via the more traditional and mainstream channels of a website or direct mail catalogues. I’m not suggesting you won’t need these channels anymore, I’m merely pointing out that based on the behavioural patterns of mobile consumers, brands need to increase the payment methods you offer in order to appeal to a wider audience.
I’ve seen an increase in mobile web traffic which sits somewhere in the region of 30-60% for most brands. However whilst this is increasing, the conversion rate for mobile devices is not as high as it could be and I personally think this is down to the consumer experience which isn’t always optimised for mobile.
I challenge you to try it (if you haven’t already) and think about how it makes you feel as a consumer. Will you feel valued by, or loyal to a brand that is making your mobile purchase more difficult than it needs to be?
Improving the customer journey, including the payment process for mobile devices, will help increase mobile device sales and revenue.
Setting up PFI
First of all, you will need to register with PhonePayPlus, set up a Merchant ID to take payments and find a provider to facilitate this, such as Oxygen8.
Oxygen8 has been providing PFI services to its clients for some time and we take great care in ensuring our clients understand what they need to do and the steps they need to take in order to avoid breaching any regulations, which can result in being fined.
The benefits of using PFI
- It’s secure and easy to use for both you and your consumers
- It enables you to expand your consumer base because you gather more mobile data
- It increases your market size and service offering
- You can open up new marketing channels
- It increases mobile sales and revenue
PFI is a safe, established technology and very secure
- You have to be an approved payment intermediary (API) by the networks to offer PFI
- PhonePayPlus also regulate service providers and work closely with the mobile networks to ensure consumer confidence and security
- All payments are processed safely and simply which means consumers are protected.
Create loyalty and trust with integrated SMS
Integrating SMS and PFI to provide your consumers with transactional receipts, dispatch updates, delivery confirmation, subscriptions and repeat purchase reminders are all great ways to build trust and create loyalty. Whilst the product being purchased dictates to some extent how much contact you need to have with a consumer, using SMS as a customer services tool to support your revenue stream is a fantastic value proposition which you should offer. After all, your consumer has just used their mobile device to make a purchase so why would you contact them in any other way?
You also benefit because it helps you to build up a strong database of numbers. It’s a well-established fact that customer retention costs your company far less than a new acquisition.
In addition to this, repeat business means happy consumers who are also more likely to recommend you to their friends and family.
- PFI is a fantastic solution if you want to offer your consumers an efficient and easy way to pay for goods using their mobile phones.
- It’s not difficult to set up, it’s secure and using it will create an additional revenue stream to your business.
- It’s ideal for consumers who don’t own a credit card and who might previously have not been able to purchase from you.
- Think about the product you are selling
- Think about the audience you are marketing and selling it to
- Consider how you can use the data you have on purchase history and payment methods to personalise your consumer experience
- Use PFI to generate more revenue via mobile sales
What if Payforit isn’t for you?
You may come to the conclusion after reading this blog that Payforit isn’t for you, Oxygen8 provide a wide range of mobile payment solutions that might be more suitable. Please get in touch and we can discuss a solution that suits your needs.